Re: query on iregname conversion

On 2 Sep 2009, at 19:11, Larry Masinter wrote:

> I'm still working on a draft that turns the MAY into a MUST for
> ireg-name processing; it winds up rewriting a lot of the
> document because it puts parsing before percent-encoding.
>
> I'd rather wait to discuss this until I have a draft ready
> (had hoped to finish yesterday).
>
> One section I've stumbled on is:
>

>   Systems accepting IRIs MAY convert the ireg-name component of an IRI
>   as follows (before step 2 above) for schemes known to use domain
>   names in ireg-name, if the scheme definition does not allow percent-
>   encoding for ireg-name: Replace the ireg-name part of the IRI by the
>   part converted using the ToASCII operation specified in Section 4.1
>   of [RFC3490] on each dot-separated label, and by using U+002E (FULL
>   STOP) as a label separator, with the flag UseSTD3ASCIIRules set to
>   TRUE,

Another point related to yours: UseSTD3ASCIIRules should be FALSE
here.  Those are rules on the *registration* of domain names, and I
don't see what they have to do in a specification that effectively
deals with resolution.

 From a quick check using "_test0_α.does-not-exist.org" as a test
case, it seems like at least the latest Safari and Firefox don't set
that flag when trying to resolve an IRI reference.

I did some archeology on the topic in March; the genesis of
UseSTD3ASCIIRules being TRUE goes back to this note from Martin:
    http://www.imc.org/idn/mail-archive/msg07277.html

... which seems to be mistaken about the intent of some of the text in
the original URI spec.

> and with the flag AllowUnassigned set to FALSE for creating
>    IRIs and set to TRUE otherwise.  The ToASCII operation may fail,
> but
>   this would mean that the IRI cannot be resolved.  This conversion
>   SHOULD be used when the goal is to maximize interoperability with
>   legacy URI resolvers.  For example, the IRI
>   "http://résumé.example.org"
>   may be converted to
>   "http://xn--rsum-bpad.example.org"
>   instead of
>   "http://r%C3%A9sum%C3%A9.example.org".
>

> Can someone explain the AllowedUnassigned set to FALSE for "creating
> IRIs"?  This is in the middle of the algorithm for converting IRIs
> (which is turning into converting 'parsed IRI components' into
> 'parsed URI components'), but what is the applicability of
> 'creating IRIs' when doing this mapping anyway?

I'd think none, i.e., AllowUnassigned should be TRUE in this spot, for
the very reason that you mention.