Re: phishing in IRIs (was: Re: Using Punicode for host names in IRI -> URI translation; phishing; comparison)

> Also, it should be noticed that the main attack vector for
phishing/spoofing are IDNs, not IRIs in general. True, there's some
potential for attacks also in cases such as
http://www.example.net/your_preferred_name/your_hosted_page_here.html

Actually, the main attack vector for phishing/spoofing are *not* IDNs. It is
a common misperception that the "paypal.com" (Cyrillic 'a') or "fraction
slash" spoofs are the main problem, but those confusable character attacks
are completely insignificant compared to other attack vectors, like
http://safe-wellsfargo.com. See
http://www.bortzmeyer.org/idn-et-phishing.html (machine translated at
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bortzmeyer.org%2Fidn-et-phishing.html)
-- in particular, the studies of phishing/spoofing on that page.

Mark