From: Ian Hickson [mailto:ian@hixie.ch]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:49 PM
To: Mark Davis ☕
Cc: Erik van der Poel; Larry Masinter; duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp
Subject: Re: notes from IRI meeting

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Mark Davis �~X~U wrote:

> A post-processed URL would not have ß in it. So if you are using only
> that, or using reverse-DNS lookup, then the display form is lost and you
> would see "ss", just like you would see case or variant information
> lost.
>
> If we didn't have the IDNA2003 compatibility issue, then retaining ß
> wouldn't be a problem. We know that the display approach is not perfect;
> the question is whether it is sufficient to avoid the "same URL going
> two places" problem, while usually providing the ß/ss distinction to
> people.

We should make sure we have the buy-in from browser vendors then. If I was
a browser vendor I'd be very skeptical about a situation in which the
displayed URL can change without the underlying URL changing, just because
a script happened to manipulate the URL before the user clicked it.

(Feel free to forward anything I wrote on this thread to a public list.)