Re: Advice on making IRI document suitable for reference by HTML (and other specs)

Larry Masinter wrote:
> I'd appreciate it if some other mailing list subscribers had some
> ideas for how to fix the document better to accomplish (1) while retaining
> the goal for (2).  To make progress on (2), I think we'd want to take
> some of the things in section 7.2 "HREF preprocessing" and move them
> into the main body of what all normative URI processors should do, and

URI processors or IRI processors?

> not just the ones in browsers. Things like chopping off initial & final
> whitespace, hadling single "%" , deleting or encoding otherwise illegal
> characters, etc.

Would that affect the definition of a syntactically legal IRI?

The reason why I'm asking is that there are specifications that rely on
the fact that the space character can't be part of a legal IRI (or URI),
and thus can be used as delimiter (the same probably applies to other
kinds of whitespace).

Best regards, Julian