Re: IDN handling, please help

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:

>  I’m reading this text over and over again, and I really don’t get it. Can
> someone explain what the distinction is between “scheme definition does not
> allow percent-encoding for ireg-name, and scheme definition DOES allow
> percent-encoding for ireg-name”?  What schemes allow percent-encoding for
> ireg-name, for example?

RFC3986 allows percent encodings in the "reg-name" subcomponent, but some
URI schemes do not allow it. Given that most URI schemes are defined in
terms of URI rather than IRI, the "ireg-name" probably should be "reg-name"
here.

> Not sure what problem this is solving, or why the two algorithms are
> different, or whether one is just a shortcut in a special case.

Which two algorithms, you mean "percent encoding" and IDNA ToASCII? I
suppose the former is a generic way of encoding non-ASCII characters in the
reg-name field of a URI, and the latter is used when one knows for sure that
the reg-name uses DNS.

=wil