Re: Some issues with the IRI document [legacyNFC-06]

At 1:52 PM -0400 4/16/03, Martin Duerst wrote:
>What we are talking about here is that e.g. you receive an email
>from Vietnam encoded in windows-1258, and this email contains
>an IRI with some Vietnamese characters. Then to convert this
>IRI into an URI, you have to use variant B) of step 1) in section
>3.1, which will apply NFC when converting to Unicode in order
>to convert the decompositions that occur in windows-1258 into
>precomposed characters before then converting into UTF-8 and
>using %-escaping.

OK, I think I understand, but let me ask to be clear. Are you saying
that you must know the encoding of the context that the IRI appears
in? If so, I didn't catch that fact, and it should probably be stated
before the examples.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium