[iadditional-00] (was: Re: Some issues with the IRI document)

Hello Paul,

At 08:14 03/04/08 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

>Technical issues:

>I think that section 5.1 (b) is a bad mistake. The four reasons you give
>are not strong enough for what seems like something that can cause huge
>conversion problems. I can also see this causing security problems.

This is already noted as
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/Overview.html#iadditional-00.

This has been discussed to great length in other places.
I have decided to try to see how we would do if we disallowed
spaces and similar characters.

I have removed the iadditional production from the syntax.
I have removed 5.1 (b), and changed the IRI-to-URI mapping
in 3.1. I have added a new paragraph in section 3.1, based
on suggestions at the IETF in San Francisco. This paragraph
reads:

    Note: Earlier drafts of this specification allowed the space
    character and various delimiters in IRIs and IRI references.  The
    full list of these characters was: "<", ">", '"', Space, "{", "}",
    "|", "\", "^", and "`", i.e.  all printable characters in US-ASCII
    that are not allowed in URIs.  For backwards compatibility,
    implementations MAY also include these characters in step 2) above.
    If such characters are found but are not converted, then the
    conversion SHOULD fail.  Please note that the number sign ("#"), the
    percent sign ("%"), and the square bracket characters ("[", "]") re-
    allowed in [RFC2732] are not part of the above list, and MUST not be
    converted.  Protocols and formats that have used earlier definitions
    of IRIs including these characters MAY require unescaping of these
    characters as a preprocessing step to extract the actual IRI from a
    given field.  Such preprocessing MAY also be used by applications
    allowing the user to enter an IRI.

Please have a look at the new interim draft at
http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.txt
and comment.

Regards,    Martin.