Re: Welcome / introductions

Thanks Mark, and thanks to all who have gone before me, it's great to read
about your backgrounds and perspectives. Returning from the American
holiday, my name is Chris Riley, and I recently joined W3C as an individual
member for purposes of engaging with this process, after having been on the
margins of W3C working through colleagues during my 7 years running global
public policy for Mozilla (and other pathways prior to that).

These days, I work with the nonprofit Brave New Software Project (not
affiliated with Brave Software the browser company) and wearing that hat
I'm developing a new concept for a nonprofit run tech-for-good incubator;
I'm also a resident senior fellow for internet governance at the R Street
Institute where I engage in more traditional think tank policy work. I've
spent my career at the intersection of technology/law/governance issues,
and have written and spoken extensively over the past few years on
interoperability (e.g. from 2017
<https://medium.com/@mchrisriley/competition-through-interoperability-3ed34a5c55f1>
to my most recent piece this summer in CPI
<https://www.competitionpolicyinternational.com/interoperability-as-a-lens-onto-regulatory-paradigms/>
[paywalled, but I can share a copy with individuals if interested]). As a
long-time supporter of interoperability intervention by government actors
who nevertheless understands the many pitfalls along that route, I'm eager
to engage with this group to see what we can develop that complements the
current interest by regulators.

I call home in the objectively suboptimal Pacific Time Zone (based in a SF
Bay Area suburb); I do make early hours available (e.g. 5:30/6am) so
friends in Europe in particular don't constantly have to sacrifice their
evenings.

Cheers,
Chris