Re: Welcome / introductions

On 11/24/21 6:49 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Hello everyone. Welcome to the Community Group!

Thank you Mark for stepping up for this.

> * A brief summary of your background

I have read the charter and some provisions prevented me from taking the
step to enter the group, notably:

 > Community Group participants agree to make all contributions in the
GitHub repo the group is using for the particular document. This may be
in the form of a pull request (preferred), by raising an issue, or by
adding a comment to an existing issue.

Since this is a working group on interoperability, where not everyone
agrees that interoperability should be mandatory (see recent committee
vote on the topic at the EU), it appears problematic to require an
account from an adversarial company.

My organization has published an article about our concerns about
interoperability at
https://love.public.cat/pub/what-is-at-stake-with-interoperability and I
hope this reflection will be taken into account here. Therefore I need
to confer with my organization and myself to know whether I can, given
the proposed "contribution mechanics", actively participate in this group.

That said, I came from the free software community and have been working
in the past 3 years as a mentor for software teams in the Next
Generation Internet Zero consortium, where my organization, the
non-profit petites singularités, is a partner. I also coordinated the
SocialHub, ActivityPub's community, and coordinate the Distributed
Replicated Edge Agency Machine (DREAM) research project funded by NGI
POINTER. A few years ago, with a number of fellows from the P2P
community, I was the editor of the Special-Use Domain Names of
Peer-to-Peer Systems Internet Draft that unfolded politically loaded
matters in the IETF and ended up killing the RFC6761.

> * Why you're participating in this group

I hope my introduction has made clear why I'm willing to participate.
There are many aspects to interoperability that are left on the side to
fulfill an agenda that is presented as inevitable, and we should care
for the actual individuation of such approaches, their consequences
beyond capitalist interests, rather than follow blindly the neoliberal path.

> * Where you call home (so we can try to schedule meetings when it's not *too* painful for anyone)

I belong to Central European Time (CET).

Warm regards,

==
hk