Re: Welcome / introductions

Thanks Mark

My background is in mathematics, and then conversion to computer science

I've been working on interoperability and social networks, mainly in W3C
groups, since about 2007.  I chair the Read Write Web Community Group (
https://www.w3.org/community/rww/).  I helped create the "Solid" (Social
Linked Data) project with Berners-Lee et. al. at MIT, but before that as
part of the FOAF (Friend of a Friend) project.  The work we did was adding
UIs to user profiles, and then authentication using PKI.  After that, an
ACL authorization system so that you could choose who has access to which
resource.  After which I helped with the Social Web Incubator Group,
authoring the final report, and later with the SW Working Group.

I've been involved in quite a few mainly W3C groups over the years, mainly
around the social web, and payments.

My path in to the standards process is a slightly unusual one, I think.
I'm mainly a grass roots developer, trying to build ethical systems.  By
ethical I mean things that respect user data and privacy, because I want to
build systems that I'd like to use myself.  My initial thought was "surely
someone has done this before".  After which I was pointed in various
directions starting with OpenID, and then down lots of rabbit holes, I find
myself here today, not really remembering why. :)

My current interest is in a "temporal" web, ie one in which what you do,
over time, becomes part of your digital footprint, and can also survive if
any provider, or web hoster, ceases to exist.  In this way you can grow an
online presence, and reputation, and have to worry less about who controls
that identity, when interacting socially.

Looking forward to interacting and learning!