Re: AGENDA - Interledger Community Call - 21 September - 3pm UTC

Ripple and NTT (actually, primarily a subsidiary of NTT, Everis) are
initiating a new project at the Hyperledger Foundation which will be
focused on interoperability.
The project will be an implementation of the Interledger protocol and will
be written in Java, Taking the existing Java implementations as it's
starting code base.

These two companies have been the primary contributors to the Java
implementations so I'm not sure why it's surprising they'd be the sponsors
of this project?

This new project doesn't replace the existing ILP community which is
focused on development of the protocol and standards.
i.e. The community deliverables are specifications, the new project's
deliverables will be code libraries (implementations of the protocol).

The existing Java code libraries do not have a "home" today as there is no
neutral legal entity to which the licenses can be attributed and no
governance framework or contributor agreements.
The Hyperledger foundation offers such a framework (in the same way that
the JS Foundation already does for the Javascript code components).

More details in the proposal:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KVrakb2JsqgMo2aG-QIYl743VHsU9NWYKxy7n-WeXv4/edit

If IOTA is able to commit resources to contributing to this project that
would be great, we'd love to share that commitment with the TSC at
Hyperledger when we meet next week.