Re: Alternative algorithm for timeouts

Hi Enrique,

One way to implement something more flexible would be to set a timeout of
24 hours on your payment, but "urge" connectors to be much much quicker
than that during normal operation. Most payments would only take 2.1
seconds in your example. If an error occurred due to: no route found,
insufficient liquidity, insufficient source amount, receiver account
doesn't exist, or receiver is not listening, or receiver does not know how
to fulfill the condition, you will get an ILP error back, also in roughly
2.1 seconds. *Only* in the event that the comms network fails, would
payments be tied up for up to 24 hours.

An argument for why 24 hour timeouts could be OK is that if you do business
with a connector, and you have money locked up in a one-to-one payment
channel to that connector, then if it's having network trouble, you can't
reuse that balance for other purposes anyway (unless you close the channel
one-sidedly). This also goes if you peer over a trustline. It doesn't hold
when you peer over a FiveBells ledger, and some of your other peers also
have an account on that same ledger, because then you would want a quick
rollback of the money into your FiveBells ledger account, so that you can
reuse that balance to route payments to other peers who are on the same
ledger.

However, even though 24 hour timeouts could work in some circumstances,
there is a network effect; if one connector uses long timeouts then that's
useless for later connectors in the chain of transfer (they will still be
in a hurry), unless they do too. Also, a connector that uses long timeouts
will not even be invited to be part of a chain of transfers if there is at
least one connector earlier in the chain, that is in more of a hurry.

Each connector will have a minimal timeout which it requires itself, and
maximum timeout it allows other connectors to have. Due to this network
effect, it's useful if we all use roughly the same minimum and maximum
values (at least within an order of magnitude). For instance, the current
default settings for ilp-kit are:
* the receiver is allowed EXPIRY_DURATION = 10 seconds to fulfill
* each connector will add MIN_MESSAGE_WINDOW = 1 second (500ms in each
direction IIUC)
* each connector will accept a total of up to
CONNECTOR_MAX_HOLD_TIME=100 seconds

A network with identical nodes like that will in theory be able to handle
up to 90-hop payments. But if one of the connectors (or say, the receiving
ledger in your example) would set MIN_MESSAGE_WINDOW or EXPIRY_DURATION to
3600 seconds, then that would be incompatible with the
CONNECTOR_MAX_HOLD_TIME of other connectors in the network, and that would
make the network less efficient in forwarding payments.

So that's why we say it's recommended for everybody to stay near the
tens-of-seconds order of magnitude with their minimum and maximum timeout
values.

Cheers!
Michiel.