Re: Promise App

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post - I totally agree with you that it's important to
understand the terminology around 'promise', 'want', 'offer', 'terms', and
'counter' that lead up to a payment.

However, this community group was created for discussing Interledger, and
its scope is therefore limited to payments, and the ledger transfers
involved in making these payments work across ledgers (hence the name
"inter"-"ledger").

'Why' a payment occurs, 'how' the two parties agreed on the payment amount,
'what' service or goods the payment is for, and even whether it's an
up-front payment (creating a debt) or an afterwards payment (resolving a
debt), is out of scope.

I recently added a glossary to the RFCs repo, which might be of interest:
https://github.com/interledger/rfcs/blob/master/0019-glossary/0019-glossary.md
- as you can see, it only discusses terminology surrounding Interledger
payments.

Do you think Interledger should describe more than just payments?
Personally, I think it would make the scope to broad.

Maybe it's worth creating a separate mailing list that discusses topics
more around 'Conversations for Action' (promises, offers, etc.), and keep
this mailing list strictly about Interledger?

What do others think?

Cheers,
Michiel.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Andrew Bransford Brown <andrewbb@gmail.com