An interesting thought about globalization and ILP

From: Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:05:03 +0200
To: Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>
No matter what side of the US election you stand this is an interesting
read regarding free movement of value:

http://qz.com/832998/the-case-for-free-trade-open-borders-and-the-new-global-economy/

I especially found this quote interesting in the context of the
bootstrapping project:

"Digital communications and decentralized financial platforms offset the
ability of any individual leader to block the movement of ideas and trade."

I have heard many opinions about the future of payments globally that
predict a tendency toward fewer currencies but I believe those are driven
by old fashioned preconceptions about the challenges of interoperability in
value exchange.

In my mind, a more likely outcome is highly efficient interoperability
between an increasing number of currencies and communities (regional,
national and global) so that everyone is free to hold value in whatever
form they wish (possibly even a community currency that has limited
distribution) but still spend that freely trading with others anywhere in
the world.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this and how ILP might play a
role here.