Re: IRC / was: Agenda - 9 March Call

On 9 March 2016 at 07:07, Stefan Thomas <stefan@ripple.com> wrote:

> First result from googling would agree with you:
> https://drewdevault.com/2015/11/01/Please-stop-using-slack.html
>
> I don't think using Slack is totally out of the question. Other OSS
> projects do use it.
>
> That said, I agree with Jehan that IRC is more open and IRCCloud turns it
> into a similar experience as Slack. Plus the W3C uses it extensively, so I
> would say IRC seems like the obvious choice.

IRC should be the default, every w3c group has one.  But it's rarely used.

Slack doesnt keep your history, which is a problem.

Gitter seems to be the outstanding choice for developers

In the open source world i like rocket.chat, mattermost is slow ... here's
my collection of floss messengers

https://github.com/melvincarvalho/webid.im/wiki/FLOSS-Messengers

Incidentally ive integrated realtime inter ledger payments previously into
slack and irc, gitter is on my todo list ...