Re: Crypto-condition Spec and Status

On 29 February 2016 at 23:34, Stefan Thomas <stefan@ripple.com> wrote:

> > Why create and standardize a language when we have javascript already?
>
> We would need a deterministic version of JavaScript. The way that
> crypto-conditions are used in ILP, connectors do not need to understand the
> condition, because a fulfillment that is valid on one ledger will be
> guaranteed to be valid on any ledger that is compatible with that type of
> condition.
>
> That's really important because we want to build lots of more specific
> protocols on top of ILP, so we don't know what all of their conditions are
> going to look like yet. So if ledgers and connectors can be
> condition-agnostic, that's awesome.
>
> Just to give a concrete example: Here is Math.sin(1) in Chrome and Firefox:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/KmKsuMd.png
>
> If this happened with crypto-conditions, an attacker could defraud a
> connector by creating a condition that fulfills on the ledger right of the
> victim and doesn't on the ledger left of the victim.
>
> So if you wanted to have programmable conditions you would need a
> programming language that is perfectly defined down to the last bit for
> every possible execution path. As of today, JavaScript has nowhere near
> that level of precision in it's standardization. You'd need a stricter
> subset, or perhaps more realistically, something like WebAssembly.
>
> Cryptographic algorithms, of course, do have that level of standardization
> - if I give you a bytestring to hash with SHA-256, you will always get the
> exact same hash I got, every time, no matter which programming language and
> which SHA-256 implementation you're using.
>

> > You could make it so that when an issue is closed a bounty is released
> to that user.  It would be verified by a github 'hook'.
>
> That's unfortunately not possible. The real world is non-deterministic and
> so is the web. If one ledger makes (or receives) an HTTP(S) call to (or
> from) Github there is no guarantee that a similar call on another ledger
> will have the same result. So once again as a connector I can't treat the
> condition opaquely - I have to understand that it's an API call and that
> it's to Github and that Github is likely to respond with the same response.
> What's more, I'm now taking Github's server into my risk profile - if their
> server is down, the ledger on my left may not be able to validate the
> condition. An attacker being able to DoS Github would now allow customer to
> defraud me as a connector.

I agree it's a challenge, but I dont think it's impossible.  Im intending
to actually build a proof of contract using github smart contracts to
release payments for coding (in open source projects).  Im guided here by
Satoshi's bitcoin paper where he says 'a certain amount of fraud is
accepted as unavoidable' -- so while ddos is a fact of life on the web, we
can hope that services such as github have enough uptime to be nevertheless
useful.