Blockchain, block size and interledger (was: How do bank payments actually work?)

From: Fabio Barone <holon.earth@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:59:15 -0500
To: Web Payments <public-webpayments@w3.org>, Interledger Community Group <public-interledger@w3.org>
As suggested, I am starting a new thread for this topic.
I apologize if I am coming over as verbose and/or cluttering your inboxes.

What do people here think about the potentially incumbent collapse of
bitcoin as a crypto-currency itself and the block-size issue?

The question is related to the blockchain itself, not bitcoin.
Block size is ultimately a "political" decision of the community, and there
appears to be a scism because of that.
Not wanting to discuss that in itself (it's probably being discussed

but what do you guys think this means for blockchain technology itself?

Will we see a proliferation of different blockchains, making ILP even more
interesting and important?

Could this be a blow to blockchain technology itself (unlikely IMHO),
because limitations of this technology are becoming apparent?

What developments do you foresee happening in this field, also maybe not
underestimating a potential collapse of the global economy this year?

On a side note, I like Ethereum's basic tenets but I am worried about a
lock-in of some sorts...