Re: ILP and signatures

> What about other kind of "web smart contracts" (for want of a better name)
> ... ie to trigger the release of a payment when something on the web
> happens.  e.g. the ledger operator could publish a receipt of the funds
> transfer to escrow?

We don't specify what type of event or system should produce the
cryptographic condition fulfillment so it definitely could be some kind of
smart contract. Arguably, the most straightforward way for all the ledgers
to check if the predefined event has happened is by looking for a valid
signature that fulfills the condition. The problem with an alternative like
checking a given URI is that the domain owner could respond differently to
different ledgers, causing the payment to be partially executed and for
some parties to lose money.

 Are connector and the escrow agent different?

In general the escrow agent should be the same as the controller of the
*ledger*. In certain cases, such as with banks, the ledger and some
connectors may be operated by the same party but in general they should be
thought of as separate. For something like Bitcoin, the Bitcoin ledger
itself would enforce the conditions of the escrow using its scripting
functionality, while the connector would be a separate, untrusted party
providing the liquidity for the payment.

--
Evan Schwartz | Software Architect | Ripple
[image: ripple.com] <http://ripple.com>