Re: A Survey of ILP Account Identifiers?

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 2:51 AM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 December 2016 at 06:53, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > In what context do you want to use SHA1 hashes?
>>
>> Mainline DHT cloud storage.
>>
>> > Is there a path to interoperability?
>>
>> Thanks to the interledger protocol project, ABSOLUTELY.
>

> Could you elaborate?

Uh, I'd rather finish my prototype first

> So if I can understand the DHT cloud storage you are working on denotes
> users with a sha1 hash (or is it files too?)

It's everything -- everything gets a 160-bit handle to itself, as if
all nodes are coexisting with a shared memory.

> PS git uses SHA-1 too for files
Yes of course; SHA1 is adequate for all practical purposes: the
collision risk is small enough.

> I am also working on distributed cloud storage but using http URIs as it has
> the advantage of a large network effect.

As does Mainline DHT.

> Which systems have a path to interoperability, the cloud storage you
> mention, the web based one I mention and ILP -- how does ILP leverage SHA-1?

ILP, as a specification, needn't mandate implementation-specific
details. As long as its agnostic to identity strings, using the
20-byte hash in an implementation would be equivalent to referring to
an object by a memory pointer, while using the string would be
equivalent to passing objects in some kind of marshalled form. From
outside of the implementation, there should be no difference.