Re: IRC and Gitter

For a low-feature, stupid-simple (+ some clever features), free/libre/open
option via brower or mobile, there's the co-authoring+chat environment
http://etherpad.org/

It's ready-hosted at many locations (e.g. https://etherpad.wikimedia.org )
...or run one as https://etherpad.interledger.org

It provides both the chat and co-authored minutes in one view.

Not for the terminal interface participants.

Joseph Potvin