Re: Interledger and Privacy

I would definitely argue for having a multitude of different types of
connectors. Diversity would contribute a lot to the competitiveness and
robustness of the system.

We do need ways to keep track of and rate the performance of connectors.
Exactly how to do this could be a major topic for this group to discuss.
If people access ILP through their financial institution, the FI might
track and select connectors and paths. If ledgers and connectors expose
APIs that people can use directly (or through some client software) the
data on different connectors would need to be tracked in a way that's
more publicly accessible.

An important note on connectors and escrow. Is it the /ledger/, not the
connector that is responsible for escrowing funds. Connectors are not
trusted and we use escrow specifically to protect the sender from
malicious connectors. We assume that each ledger is trustworthy enough
to hold funds in escrow, as each participant in a payment already trusts
their ledgers to track their balances for them. You always bear some
risk when you choose to hold funds in an account on a ledger, and those
risks will vary from ledger to ledger, but you get to choose your ledger.

If we're talking about what kind of identity systems are needed for ILP
to work, I think we need to separate discovery from authentication and
authorization. Discovery (how the sender finds where the recipient would
like to be paid) /may /be part of our discussions but it is arguably
outside the scope of ILP itself. I think ILP should assume that the
sender already knows where the recipient would like to be paid.

Regarding authentication and authorization, that is up to the ledgers.
Trying to standardize security measures across different ledgers seems
somewhat hopeless to me. The requirements for banks, cryptocurrencies,
and other types of ledgers will always be different and they will always
use different mechanisms for identifying their account holders. Some
ledgers will use multi-factor authentication, others won't. Security,
however, will definitely play a part in how users select the ledgers
they want to hold balances on.

Keep the questions and ideas coming everyone!