Interledger and Privacy

From: Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:17:40 -0400
To: public-interledger@w3.org
All,

I asked a question during the interledger presentation inquiring about
what information is leaked about senders/recipients to connectors. The
question was answered from the perspective of an "altruistic" connector,
essentially that connectors don't need to know all that much so they'll
only use whatever is necessary to help complete a payment.

However, I was thinking more of rational or byzantine connectors. Is
there anything in the protocol to discourage entities from creating
connectors that provide cheap paths to complete payments -- so that they
can, for instance, track (and potentially sell) sender or recipient
behavior? Is there anything in the protocol to help protect privacy?

While it appears that the protocol does a lot to guard against
adversaries that seek to attack the payments themselves, but what about
other attacks or "abuse" of meta-data? By introducing third parties
(connectors) into the payments process, there may be other undesirable
behaviors that aren't directly related to payments that need to be
mitigated.

--
Dave Longley
CTO