Re: path discovery / routing: economic significance and brainstorming

From: Xavier Vas <xavier@tr80.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 03:03:53 +0000
To: public-interledger@w3.org

> - It's an open question whether centralized path finding is more
> competitive (think Google Search) or decentralized path finding (think
> distributed routing). Obviously we'd like to see distributed
> pathfinding, but ultimately it's just an empirical question of which
> will work better and which one people will choose.

I'd like to claim that Google Search or rather Google-type search is in
fact decentralized. Personally I switch between Google, DuckDuckGo and
Bing for various reasons. It's a kind of manual decentralization because
I have to manually bring up the page and enter the search term.

If Google had a true monopoly the WWW would look very different
economically and content wise ... more like the AOLs and CompuServes of
the olden days I think. We don't want to go there.

Xav