Re: Identity and the need for security

> does the interledger network disrupts all the other payment schemes, and
> any participant should go on board as soon as possible, whatever the
> development cost, or does it offer getways to the existing schemes and
> makes its way smoothly among them...?

Integrating ILP should be as easy as possible for any ledger, from banks,
to Bitcoin, to payment service providers. Each should be able to use their
current protocols for interacting with their ledgers, though some will need
to add cryptographic escrow support.

There is more work to be done around identity, KYC/AML issues. For now I
would imagine that schemes for handling that kind of data exchange will
need to be built on top of ILP, and we'll need to see what kind of
information is required for different jurisdictions and use cases. In the
short term, there will probably be use-case-specific schemes, though the
longer term project is to make them ever more interoperable. Arguably, it
makes a big difference to start off with fundamentally interoperable
"rails" for moving money, and ILP is meant to be the simplest, most secure
way of doing this.

> How does ILP handle identity?
>
> In particular what strings are used to
>
> 1. Denote a ledger
> 2. Denote a participate in a ledger, or common participant in two or more
> ledgers

In the demo, all ledgers are referenced with their URIs.

Connectors have an API that let's them announce what ledgers they connect.
The connectors' accounts on their ledgers will be referenced differently.
Their quote returns a partially filled object that includes their account
identifiers on both ledgers.

--
Evan Schwartz | Software Architect | Ripple Labs
[image: ripple.com] <http://ripple.com>