From: Bob Way [bob@ripple.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 1:31 PM
To: Nitin Gaur
Cc: public-interledger@w3.org
Subject: Re: Roll call / intro - expand the scope of Interledger Protocol to  beyond payment

I’d like to give a big +1 to discussing this.

Payments don’t really happen in a vacuum. If Alice send money to Bob, then she did so for a reason.
Bob clearly benefited from receiving the payment. Alice clearly incurred cost by sending the payment.
What generally goes unmentioned is that Alice likely received a benefit out-of-band from the traditional payment system.
Likewise, Bob likely incurred some cost/expense (maybe it was goods sold) out-of-band as well.

In many types of transactions, it is possible to include these formerly out-of-band transactions into a single ILP “circular” payment. Stock transfer and digital goods sales spring immediately to mind.

So as example, Alice has USD and wants to own a share of AAPL stock. A clever bit of pathfinding could create a circular ILP payment that 1) debited Alice’s USD on her bank’s ledger, and as part of the same transaction, 2) credited Alice’s account on the AAPL stock custodian’s ledger. To make this possible some third party (Bob) is essentially swapping with Alice. Bob’s bank account gets credited, and his stock accounted debited.

Nothing really changes from an ILP perspective. Both the core banking systems and stock custodian’s systems are ILP “ledgers”. Both Alice and Bob in effect serve as ILP “connectors”.

Bob Way

Software Engineer | Ripple

bob@ripple.com<mailto:ben@ripple.com> | ripple.com<http://ripple.com/>