Re: User Intentions Explainer (was: List of Intentions)

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Frederico Knabben <f.knabben@cksource.com>
wrote:

<snip>

> IMHO, the following are the "minimal" features that it should provide:
>
> - Selection: UI (e.g. caret), creation (e.g. mouse) and modifications
> (e.g. arrows)
> - Focus (probably part of Selection, but it's so hard to make it right
> that I'm listing it here to not stay forgotten)
> - Input Text (typing)
> - Insert New Line
> - Delete / Backspace

If we include deletion/backspace and input text, that will then also mean
merging of paragraphs (and other nodes) when the caret is at the beginning
of a second paragraph and the backspace key is being hit? Last I checked
that was broken for example in Safari/Chrome (converting the HTML inside
the two merged paragraphs from <span style=""> into a mix of <font>-tags
and other outdated things).

To me it's fine if inputting text/backspace is being included, as long as
browser makers believe they will have the time and resources to fix the
actual text editing part. That to me seems to be the most broken thing
about the whole thing currently.

If they on the other hand say they have no time for any of this (as not
having fixed bugs in this area for some years might indicate) I would be OK
with them leaving the input/deletion/undo history part out.

--
Johannes Wilm
Fidus Writer