Re: [User Context] GeoLoc missing API for user justification in prompts

On May 29, 2014, at 11:37 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 2:10 AM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Even so, disparate UI treatments are more confusing to users that commonly formatted UI controls.
>
> They're also a huge spoofing risk as the message looks like it comes
> from the UA rather than the page. We should not do this.

You are confusing two separate problems:

1. There is no standard way to explain why the site wants location info. (Spec problem.)
2. UI details of how that explanation should be shown. (Implementation detail.)

As one of many examples of how #2 could be solved, image the explanation hidden by default under a disclosure widget.

Start of example.

    The site www.example.com wants to use your location.

     ► Show details

                                   [ Deny ]   [ Allow ]

End of example.

However #2 is solved, it doesn't negate the need for #1, which is a spec problem.

James