Re: Testing of Events specification

Taking up an old thread:
James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2014, at 11:11 PM, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> wrote:
>
> > That's fine. It also raises an interesting point: what should be the
> > conformance requirement for user agents that implement IndieUI events? Must
> > they map them to implementation-defined device-specific events suitable to the
> > hardware/operating system context, or is it sufficient that they allow
> > assistive technologies to invoke them, or should there be no requirement at
> > all?
> >

> That is covered to some degree in the Document Scope section, quoted below.
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/IndieUI/raw-file/default/src/indie-ui-events.html#intro-scope
[...]
> For example, it may be common for the ESC key to trigger a "dismissrequest"
> event to close a dialog on most systems, but the specification does not
> require the user agent to use any particular physical event. It is an
> implementation detail, and left for the developers of each platform or
> assistive technology to determine whether esc or some other interaction is
> the most appropriate way to trigger the "dismissrequest" event. As long as
> there is a documented way for end users to initiate each event, the user
> agent will be considered a conforming implementation.

This addresses my concern, but it could be clearer about whether the user
agent has to provide the user-accessible input method, or whether simply
enabling an assistive technology to invoke events via an API is sufficient for
conformance.

As written, I would interpret it as implying that AT-accessible mechanisms
are sufficient, but I think we should clarify what we intend our conformance
requirement to be.