Re: Testing of Events specification

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 17:11:16 -0700
Cc: Indie UI <public-indie-ui@w3.org>
To: Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
On Apr 21, 2014, at 4:54 PM, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> wrote:

> Having taken some of the responsibility for this issue, I wish to place it
> back onto the agenda.
>
> Summary
> Earlier discussions have focused on the possibility of automating the test
> cases by synthesizing IndieUI abstract events and verifying that the listeners
> are called appropriately. We've considered using the W3C's testharness.js for
> this.

We may end up using these TestHarness.js test in WebKit.

> There are also tests under development as part of the WebKit implementation of
> the spec, and it's an open question whether and how to adapt these for use in
> a generic (implmeentation-independent) test suite.

This could be adopted pretty easily for Chrome. Not sure about the others.

> An alternative strategy would be to use a testing tool that can generate
> events at the operating system level - a more complicated solution, which
> however has the advantage of establishing that the user can initiate the
> events through UI actions.

We spun our wheels on this one a bit for ARIA 1.0. I think we ended up with the realization that it was a huge undertaking that would likely result in flaky results and no one wanted to maintain it. I think it's an ideal but unrealistic goal, and I do not recommend spending any more time on it, unless we have a volunteer to start work on the puzzle. ("Jenga Test Tower" might be a good name for the project. Grin.)

James