Re: interface definitions in Events spec

James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> The thinking was twofold:
>
> 1. I believe the interfaces needed some additional parameters not available
> in UIEvent. Are you anticipating adding a "partial interface UIEvent" for
> these, or handling those outside of the interface?

I didn't notice any additional parameters in UIRequestEvent, but I might have
missed one. The other interfaces do have additional fields, but these could be
handled by inheriting from UIEvent and therefore specifying only the
additional attributes and methods.

> 2. Because this is a "request" event—that is, a request on behalf of the
> user for the app to make something happen, rather than a notification that
> something already has happened—I thought it best to keep the interface
> separate, in case there are other unforeseen differences that need to be in
> the spec. That said, I'm open to solving that problem when we get to it, if
> you have a good solution that incorporates the additional needs and
> parameters in a better way.

That's an interesting semantic point that I didn't notice upon reading the
draft. I would think of objects implementing these interfaces, rather, as
events (as indications to the Web application that something has happened,
namely that the user has issued a certain request in whatever device-specific
way is appropriate to the context).

These events are conceptually the same as keyboard, mouse or touch events, but
defined more abstractly, like focus events for example. They dispatch when the
user performs an implementation and possibly context-dependent action.

I'm not strongly arguing for a position here, merely carrying forward the
discussion.