Re: Comments: User Interface Independence for accessible Rich Internet Applications

James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> This was the original intention, but this might not be feasible because this
> seems to indicate a blocking operation between the rendering engine and the
> UI. WebKit2, used in both Safari and Chrome, operates in a separate process
> (or processes) from the containing application, so that hung or crashing web
> pages will not prevent the user from accessing the application interface
> like chrome, toolbars, menus, etc. Other engines may implement a similar
> approach.

If I remember correctly, Mozilla are moving in that direction as well, for the
same reliability and security reasons.

So if I am understanding this issue properly: the model proposed in the
submission would be implemented such that the UI process submits an IndieUI
event to the renderer, then blocks waitingp for the renderer either to call
preventDefault() or finish execution of registered listeners. In the latter
case the underlying device-specific events, if any, are dispatched.

I can appreciate why this would be undesirable.

> > The following alternative design would be more consistent with the DOM
> > Level 3 Events specification, for example the relationship between
> > mouseup, mousedown and click events.
> >
> > 1. The UA assigns default actions to certain device-specific UI events and
> > event sequences; these actions dispatch the associated abstract events.
> >
> > 2. Consequently, the Web application receives both the device-specific
> > events corresponding to a user's interaction and the abstract events
> > defined in IndieUI events.
>
> I agree this is the better approach, due to the reason mentioned above.

An additional reason would be that it ensures the Web application always
receives the device-specific events, if defined. Application authors are
likely to welcome this result. Consistency with the DOM 3 event flow model and
existing event semantics is another reason in favour.