Re: Wiki update

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Cyril Concolato
<cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
> Le 02/11/2014 21:30, Silvia Pfeiffer a écrit :
>>

>> On 3 Nov 2014 03:42, "Cyril Concolato"
>> <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr
>> <mailto:cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Bob, Silvia,

>> > [CC] I've heard that Webkit/GTK has some native support for DASH, but I
>> > couldn't verify it. I would expect that in the future some browsers have
>> > native support for DASH or HLS. But I agree with you that support for
>> > DASH/HLS is different from direct support for TS/MP4/OGG...

>> > What about adding a diagram like this one to the introduction:
>> > http://concolato.wp.mines-telecom.fr/files/2014/11/inband-sourcing.png
>> > and maybe indicating that some implementations may use one path or the
>> > other.
>> >

>> Adding a diagram like this is useful, but I don't understand the one you
>> made. In particular, all the media format parsing is happening in the UAs
>> and not in an app.
>>
> In the diagram, I meant to say that: Browser+MSE+HTML Media+Other API is the
> UA. Maybe that's not obvious. Can you suggest any change here?
> Then I tried to carry to options in this diagram:
> - when processing DASH (or HLS), the manifest is fetched and parsed by the
> Web App, and then media data is fetched using XHR (other APIs) and passed to
> the MSE part of the Browser. When it goes in the MSE API part in the
> diagram, this is meant to say that some parsing is done (eg. MPD, or ISOBMFF
> sidx ...) and then some part is done in the browser (in the MSE part).
> - it is perfectly possible to process media in the Web app, it's exactly
> what I do in mp4box.js. Other projects such as [2] do it for TS.

OK. It might be better to paint individual paths (parallel paths) for
each of these different paths that a media resource can go through
from being picked up by the browser all the way to rendering. Then
identify what APIs are being used.

I'm not very good at drawing - do you want to try this?

Silvia.