Re: Wiki update

Hi Bob, Silvia,

Le 02/11/2014 16:57, Bob Lund a écrit :

> On 11/2/14, 3:45 AM, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Cyril Concolato
>> <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
>>> Yes, I do think HLS is another format that we should target. It has some
>>> commonalities with existing formats that we target: DASH for the use of
>>> manifests and adaptative streaming aspects; and MPEG-2 TS as a segment
>>> format. The basics of exposing tracks from TS should be reusable. It
>>> might
>>> need some tweaking compared to what we started specifying, for instance
>>> expose ID3 Tag PES streams. In an informal discussion with Eric (in
>>> copy), I
>>> discovered that WebKit already exposes them using some API, see:
>>>
>>> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/LayoutTests/http/tests/media/track-i
>>> n-band-hls-metadata.html
>> For the record: I do have some reservations about adding DASH and HLS
>> support, since browsers do not typically support these formats
>> natively.
[CC] I've heard that Webkit/GTK has some native support for DASH, but I
couldn't verify it. I would expect that in the future some browsers have
native support for DASH or HLS. But I agree with you that support for
DASH/HLS is different from direct support for TS/MP4/OGG...
>> Actually, HLS is supported in Safari, so it has some excuse,
>> but DASH is only supported via Media Source Extensions. I have been
>> worried about that a bit.
> There has been text added to the spec for DASH using MSE. MSE behavior is
> that the UA sources tracks based on information in Initialization
> Segments. The application may specify default track attributes for those
> tracks, which the UA will use if those same  attributes are not sourced
> from Initialization Segment data. It seems useful to me for the sourcing
> spec to describe this.
>
> On a related note, I plan to submit an MSE bug so that it references the
> sourcing spec for sourcing tracks as described above.
What about adding a diagram like this one to the introduction:
http://concolato.wp.mines-telecom.fr/files/2014/11/inband-sourcing.png
and maybe indicating that some implementations may use one path or the
other.

Cyril