Re: In-band track metadata attribute

From: <Clift>, Graham <Graham.Clift@am.sony.com<mailto:Graham.Clift@am.sony.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM
To: Bob Lund <b.lund@cablelabs.com<mailto:b.lund@cablelabs.com>>
Cc: Jon Piesing <jon.piesing@philips.com<mailto:jon.piesing@philips.com>>, "public-inbandtracks@w3.org<mailto:public-inbandtracks@w3.org>" <public-inbandtracks@w3.org<mailto:public-inbandtracks@w3.org>>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com<mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>>, Eric Winkelman <E.Winkelman@cablelabs.com<mailto:E.Winkelman@cablelabs.com>>, Brendan Long <B.Long@cablelabs.com<mailto:B.Long@cablelabs.com>>, "Wu, Max" <Max.Wu@am.sony.com<mailto:Max.Wu@am.sony.com>>, "Ota, Takaaki" <Takaaki.Ota@am.sony.com<mailto:Takaaki.Ota@am.sony.com>>
Subject: RE: In-band track metadata attribute

From: Bob Lund [mailto:B.Lund@CableLabs.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:05 AM
To: Clift, Graham
Cc: Jon Piesing; public-inbandtracks@w3.org<mailto:public-inbandtracks@w3.org>; Silvia Pfeiffer; Eric Winkelman; Brendan Long

From: <Clift>, Graham <Graham.Clift@am.sony.com<mailto:Graham.Clift@am.sony.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM
To: Bob Lund <b.lund@cablelabs.com<mailto:b.lund@cablelabs.com>>
Cc: Jon Piesing <jon.piesing@philips.com<mailto:jon.piesing@philips.com>>, "public-inbandtracks@w3.org<mailto:public-inbandtracks@w3.org>" <public-inbandtracks@w3.org<mailto:public-inbandtracks@w3.org>>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com<mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>>, Eric Winkelman <E.Winkelman@cablelabs.com<mailto:E.Winkelman@cablelabs.com>>, Brendan Long <B.Long@cablelabs.com<mailto:B.Long@cablelabs.com>>

On Mar 19, 2014 8:56 AM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@CableLabs.com<mailto:B.Lund@CableLabs.com>> wrote:

> From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com<mailto:silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>>
> Date: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 12:52 AM
> To: Bob Lund <b.lund@cablelabs.com<mailto:b.lund@cablelabs.com>>
> Cc: Eric Winkelman <E.Winkelman@cablelabs.com<mailto:E.Winkelman@cablelabs.com>>, Brendan Long <B.Long@cablelabs.com<mailto:B.Long@cablelabs.com>>, "public-inbandtracks@w3.org<mailto:public-inbandtracks@w3.org>" <public-inbandtracks@w3.org<mailto:public-inbandtracks@w3.org>>
> Subject: Re: In-band track metadata attribute
>
>> So, a PMT just describes what streams are available, similar to how the skeleton describes streams in Ogg? If so, then there is no need to expose that anywhere, since it's already inherently available to the JS developer through the tracks that are available.
>

> SCTE-54 and  ATSC-65 specify metadata (descriptors) that appear at the MPEG-2 TS program level (the so-called outer loop). These would not be exposed via @kind or @inBandMetadataTrackDispatchType and would require a special text track or HTMLMediaElement attribute. I am not aware of use-cases where Web applications need these descriptors but am doing more investigation. Perhaps other CG members, especially outside North America, could do the same.

Are you referring to, for example, content_advisory_descriptor and the like?
yes

Would a solution to this be to create a textTrack for the complete PMT contents as well as parsing the PMT contents to create additional tracks identified in the ES descriptor loops?
Yes, but ES descriptor info is already exposed by the inBandMeta…. Attribute and the proposed @kind expansion.
[<Graham>] I see. So the discussion is whether it makes sense to drop the PMT textTrack altogether.

The CL mapping spec original intent was to create a track for the PMT with the id set to video/mp2ts_description. Has that intent changed in the current proposals coming from CG?
A PMT track is one of the alternatives in the Wiki. It is not one of the submitted bugs. The question is are there use cases that require program level descriptors.

[<Graham>] Well I think some information might be very important like partially encrypted DTCP MPEG-2 TS streams where the (possibly expanded) CCI information is carried in a program level descriptor. Seehttp://www.arxan.com/assets/1/7/DTCP-IP.pdf appendix.

Thanks for this. But this information looks like something needed for decode in the UA and it would be up to the implementation how this is  extracted from the media resource. Is this information a Web app can use?