RE: HTML5 support for track metadata

Hi CG,

I believe that option 3 is the best approach because it requires least change to HTML5 specification, covers the use cases and will be the most likely to pass the HTML WG.

As to how to handle events (with minimal change to HTML spec), I was thinking the following:

When an application sees a change in the PMT there should also be a corresponding change to one or more of the TextTrackList/VideoTrackList/AudioTrackList 's. Seems then it should be sensible to tie the PMT change in inBandMetaDataDispatchType to an onchange event in the TextTrackList object. This would be sufficient for the purpose tracking PMT data and if cues are needed then they could be generated easily by the application thus eliminating the only advantage that option 1 has IMHO.

BTW,

As well as deciding how to handle the PMT data via the three alternatives I believe more work should be done on Item 3) (creating in-band metadata text tracks  cues). In particular there needs to be more clarification to ensure consistency across implementations. The two areas below is where I see some problems:

a)       Handling private section payloads that are split across many TS packets is not well defined. Seems there are three possible approaches.

                     i.                              Since the detection method proposed is the 'payload_unit_start_indicator', this would suggest that the transport demux is collecting the individual payloads before presenting them as a cue to the web application. If this is the case then how does the demux decide that the payload is complete? If it waits to see the next 'payload_unit_start_indicator' then the timing may be too late to be relevant.

                   ii.                              If, on the other hand, the demux creates a cue for each payload entity then that could impact performance.

                  iii.                              Maybe it just waits for a period of time and if no more payloads packets are received then cue what we have. This approach would mean there is an expectation for the application to handle variably fragmented cues.

Leaving it up the UA to decide how to implement could be challenging for web application designers to allow for all possiblities.

b)      There is no clarity of what the startTime means to the application. The spec says this is with respect to the media resource time which presumably means the PTS from some audio/video PES. But which timing? After the private payload is sent or before private payload is sent? And what is the startTime for payloads split across TS packets with Video PES packets in between, especially when partial payload DataCues are supported as  (as in case iii above.) The option of leaving this up to the implementation is unsatisfactory because of the potential for variations in the result.

Regards

Graham Clift