Re: Proposal for initial CG focus

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Bob Lund <B.Lund@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> Video, audio and text tracks all need an attribute, track id, label or
> whatever, so that the track can be correlated with the that tracks
> metadata, as described below.

That's already part of the HTML spec, see
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/embedded-content-0.html#audiotrack
. So this is not something that we need to develop, but something we
can make use of.

> MPEG-2 TS Descriptive video service in North America is a secondary audio
> track with the main dialogue and video descriptions premixed. There is no
> @kind value to denote this, so the only way the Web app can identify such
> a track is by examining the metadata descriptor.

Yes, there is. Audio tracks have @kind values, too, see:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/embedded-content-0.html#dom-audiotrack-kind
.

I assume you want to look at how to identify such tracks in MPEG-2 and
map that to the existing HTML spec @kind values, seeing as the list in
the above link does not describe how to do this for MPEG-2 or MP4.
That makes sense.

The UA should also set the @kind. We can make some suggestions for how to do so.

No, the Web app just needs to investigate the @kind value.

>>> For more deterministic handling of inband tracks, the UA could be
>>>required
>>> to:
>>>
>>> * Expose all in-band tracks, in some form.
>>
>>If they are audio or video tracks that the browser does not recognize
>>as such, it will be pretty useless to expose them, since a JS app is
>>likely not in a better place to decode them than the browser.
>
> Maybe, but then this should be stated.

OK, that's a one-liner to be added to the HTML spec. Worth a bug, I guess.

>>> * Provide data so that the Web application can correlate the metadata
>>>data
>>> with the appropriate Track object.
>>
>>What does that mean?
>
> If JS receives metadata associated with inband tracks, as proposed above,
> then it needs to be able to relate this metadata to tracks in the
> tracklist objects. In [1], this is done by assigning the elementary stream
> packet ID (PID) to the track.label. JS has the PID as part of the metadata
> so it can make the association. Equivalent IDs exist in other media
> container formats.

OK.

Cheers,
Silvia.