Re: Feature incubations discussion

Here is a current status of Spatial Favicons:

Immersive Web Proposal: https://github.com/immersive-web/spatial-favicons

Where are we now ?
There is no concrete acceptable solution for LoD incorporation into
'sizes'. I have gone through gLTF2.0 spec and I believe there is not much
in the existing specification that could represent LoD without adding
extensions.  We can work with Option 1: "Static Bounding Box". There might
be room to improve on it later, including an option to add Immersive web
custom extension to glTF2.0. Introducing new "attribute" outside "size"
will need far more time to make it to spec, than re-using existing one.

What is happening with HTML Spec ?
We opened an issue to add 3rd dimension in HTML Spec:
https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4922
Rik discussed the issue with Spec Authors (at TPAC 2019), based on the
feedback, authors felt there would be confusion if we went with Option 2
(LoD metric based). Because it wasn't *'sizes'* in real sense. Authors also
feel that even with Option 1, while 'sizes' have always been pixels, it
would create confusion with 'millimeters'. We have provided our explanation
in the above linked issue. We believe, we can pursue Option 1.

What is happening w/ WebApp manifest ?
The WebApp manifest suggested that we add this to Image Resource github
explaining the 3rd dimension for 3D Favicon. Which is essentially going to
feed into HTML Specification:
https://github.com/w3c/manifest/labels/ImageResource

Next Steps:
  * Would like to discuss this (with more time allotted) in our next conf
call.
  * If we come to some agreement, I will start working with Image Resource
authors.

regards,
Ravi
Magic Leap Inc