Re: how's Canary-WebXR different from WebARonARCore and which one shall I use to start with WebAR?

Hello,

WebARonARKit and WebARonARCore are prototypes built a year ago when ARKit
and ARCore were announced to experiment with AR on the web. They are built
on top of the WebVR <https://github.com/immersive-web/webvr> 1.1 API with
completely *made up APIs* to expose things like hit test and anchors among
other things. They were never meant to be a final project or a production
ready product as the repositories explicitly explain. WebARonARCore
specifically, is a Chromium modification to play with AR capabilities.
These projects have helped build some initial prototypes, better understand
some implications on different approaches to a possible AR API and have
informed the current WebXR Device API proposals for AR capabilities on the
web.

Chrome Canary is a implementation of the WebXR Device API
<https://github.com/immersive-web/webxr> based on the hit test proposal
<https://github.com/immersive-web/hit-test>, so it is based on discussions
happening in the community group. The WebXR Device API itself is not final
and that is why these APIs are currently behind a flag, treating them as
experimental. But they should allow developers to get an initial grasp on
where things are going in the CG and have a working browser (beta version)
to build experiences on.

I hope this clarifies the situation that I definitively understand can be a
bit confusing. WebARonARKit and WebARonARCore are repos we no longer
support and are actively working on replacing soon with WebXR Device API
based solutions in a different context from browsers.

Regards,
Iker.