Re: 3d favicons

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 7:39 AM John D. Gwinner <john@gwinner.org> wrote:

> I really like the fallback / multiple link content. Browsers/other
> software can pick what they can render (possibly with user feedback, i.e.
> "Disable any 3D favorite worlds" etc.

The current favicon syntax already supports this so we should build upon
that.

> It really is up to content authors. Any author can bring a browser to it's
> knees if they want. This is no different.

No really, Favicons won't stop loading when the author hits the stop
button.
I'm also unsure if the browser will show a "loading" state if the document
is ready but the favicon is still in progress.

I strongly believe that we should just add minimum functionality on what is
already there and not add new behavior.

> After having said that, browsers can also look at frame rate, and decide
> to fall back on their own if necessary. (Could be a minimum frame rate
> setting as well).
>

> That defender clone is great.
>

> But then again, as I type this, I'm on Playa at "That thing in the dust"
> so I'm a "Radical Self Expression" guy and feel it's mostly up to the
> content authors. Let's give them a standardized way to express themselves,
> to make browser adoption standardized as well. I don't want to return to
> the "Best viewed by" web.

+1 to this!