Re: Modules split

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 12:33 AM Klaus Weidner <klausw@google.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019, 00:16 Klaus Weidner <klausw@google.com> wrote:

>>> I see. It wasn't clear that the AR enum was going to be broken out and I
>>> don't remember that that particular part was ever discussed.
>>>
>>> There's no real reason to remove "immersive-ar" from the spec so can we
>>> leave it in? The parts that are still up in the air can still go in the
>>> 'AR' spec.
>>>

>> I'm not one of the spec editors, but is this really a blocking issue? The
>> spec already says that *"Future specifications or modules may expand the
>> definition of immersive session include additional session modes"*, and
>> I think the initial AR module draft is starting imminently. Presumably the
>> browser police won't be confiscating headsets for non-compliance if they
>> implement a mode from a pending draft module that isn't in the draft core
>> spec?
>>

> Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that standards compliance is unimportant. It
> would be unfortunate if there were an extended gap where core WebXR is
> final but the AR module isn't ready yet even for minimal "poses only" use
> cases, but my impression is that the editors and working group are trying
> their best to avoid that. At this point it's all technically still in draft
> status.

No worries! :-)
Yes, I'd prefer if it goes in the spec since we don't know how long the AR
module will take. We will be telling authors to use 'immersive-ar' and they
might (rightly) be concerned that this is not in the standard.

I'm concerned that the explainer is encouraging authors to request vr on ar
devices and look at the environmentBlendMode attribute. We definitely don't
want to support this and I suspect Microsoft will feel the same for the
Hololens.

What are '"minimal "poses only" use cases'?

>>> I was only tangentially involved in the modules discussion, but my
>>>>

>>> So a browser that just implements 'supportsSession' and 'requestSession'
>>> and always rejects them, would be compliant? :-)
>>>

>> Yep, just like a browser can be compliant in supporting the Gamepad API
>> even when an uncooperative user doesn't attach any, so it returns zero of
>> them.
>>
>> For WebXR the situation is a bit better, a browser can easily support
>> "inline" mode on a computer with no VR/AR hardware, but other modes depend
>> on hardware and driver availability.

It doesn't look good if a customer asks if we support WebXR and we say that
it only works if they use a non-standard extension...