.PAC files

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 12:07:42 +1000
To: public-ietf-w3c <public-ietf-w3c@w3.org>
After the London IETF, httpbis had a (pretty big) “design team meeting.”

One of the issues we talked about there was the proxy.pac file format, which is still not a standard, and which causes both browser folks and operators a fair amount of pain.

There was a significant amount of interest there in improving that situation, especially from the (network-oriented) browser folks in the room. However, we weren’t sure if it would be more appropriate in the IETF, the W3C or elsewhere, since it’s basically a couple of JavaScript functions.

Any thoughts here? My inclination would be to do it in the IETF, either as part of httpbis, appsawg or an independent submission.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/