Re: respecting IETF customs?

On 12/12/2014 04:10 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 12/12/2014 03:26 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> On Dec 12, 2014, at 9:18 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>>> I hope that you find the following page to be easier to digest:
>>>
>>> https://url.spec.whatwg.org/interop/test-results/
>>>
>>> With this page, you can do more than simply compare user agents
>>> against the reference implementation of the URL Standard.  You can
>>> compare one browser against other browsers.  You can compare Perl
>>> against Python. If you feel that there is a RFC 3986 compliant
>>> application in the set, you can compare it against the reference
>>> implementation.
>>
>> Nice, but it would be a lot better if abnormal URL references were
>> grouped separately from normal references.  Many of the "test
>> failures" are decisions by one or more of the implementations to
>> reject a reference due to potential security problems (e.g., TCP
>> well-known ports [0-53] that might be explicitly forbidden regardless
>> of parsing) or syntax that is specifically forbidden by the scheme.
>> Those should not be considered parser differences.
>
> Here is the master set of test data:
>
> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/blob/master/url/urltestdata.txt
>
> If reverse engineering undocumented JavaScript isn't your thing (I know
> it wasn't was what happy with), here is the data that the parser produces:
>
> https://url.spec.whatwg.org/interop/urltestdata.json
>
> Seeing that data expanded helped me "grok" the original format, which
> isn't too bad.  Just be aware that two spaces after the first (i.e.
> input) field means to reuse the base from above.
>
> I encourage you to submit a pull request that sorts or splits the data
> to your taste.  Additions are also welcome, and even encouraged!

Meanwhile, I've added a filter so that you can see only URLs that the
URL standard considers to be valid or invalid.

   https://url.spec.whatwg.org/interop/test-results/?filter=valid
   https://url.spec.whatwg.org/interop/test-results/?filter=invalid

Feedback (in the form of comments, bugs, issues, or pull requests) is of
course welcome as to which of these categories each input should be placed.

- Sam Ruby