Re: web+ and registerProtocolHandler

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
> Re http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ietf-w3c/2012Sep/0035.html
>      http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/timers.html#custom-handlers
>
> As system level APIs that persistently affect any application that uses a URL or interprets a media type, and not just the browser and site which invoked them initially, registerProtocolHandler and registerContentHandler need the security model of a system-level application.

Are you just declaring that to be true, or have to gotten agreement
from the relevant stakeholders?  My understanding is that
registerProtocolHandler and registerContentHandler are currently
envisioned as APIs for the web at large.

> I believe W3C should move "registerProtocolHandler" and "registerContentHandler" to the proposed  Sysapps working group, http://www.w3.org/2012/05/sysapps-wg-charter.html  where they can get proper attention.

The SysApps working group has more work to do than bandwidth at the
moment.  Any deliverables that we move into SysApps will need to be
prioritized along with our current work.

Adam