Re: Minutes of the W3C/IETF Coordination Call, 2011-09-30

* Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>* WebSocket Protocol
>
>Peter: Approval notice for protocol spec sent this morning; now going to
>the RFC Editor.
>
>Thomas: Was there any feedback from the W3C?
>
>Peter: We haven't looked into whether there was feedback specifically
>from them; didn't track source of various Last Call comments.

Some Google employees who happen to be editors of the two specifications
got together and agreed on various changes that the hybi Working Group
was permitted to discover by looking at differences between revisions. I
understand we are to count that as the W3C having reviewed the document,
and that it was too much to ask that the hybi Working Group send a "Hey,
this is in Last Call, please review" message with a "We reviewed, looks
good, no comments" response. I expressed my disapproval, and I also re-
call asking hybi management much earlier to at least send some kind of
pointer to the W3C working group when major decisions were about to be
made, or had been made, but got no notable response in either instance.

Personally I do not really care much, but seeing a W3C WG Chair ask his
Working Group participants to provide some information on what is going
on in a related IETF Working Group that is, by charter, supposed to have
some kind of liaison with the W3C Working Group, I do wonder why it is
so difficult to convey minimal status updates. If this kind of liaison
worked perfectly for both organizations, future cooperations should per-
haps use other terms than "liaison" to set expectations somewhere below
"letting each other know what's going on when it's important to know"
in any kind of vaguely overt and formal manner. I do not think that is a
good idea, but that is how the hybi<>webapps liaison looked like to any-
one not privy to whatever "off-list" communications there were, if any.