Re: draft-newman-i18n-collation-09.txt just posted

Thanks. I'm at the UTC meeting right now, and we were just talking about
this. In general the committee is quite happy with the changes and
direction.

The remaining serious issue is the combinatorics. You have a question on the
open issue asking if the new DTD solves the issue, but as far as I can tell
it does not.

The combinatorics are very large for CLDR. (See
http://www.unicode.org/draft/reports/tr35/tr35.html#Locale_IDs). Here is a
back-of-the-envelope calculation:
- There are a couple of hundred locales and growing (
http://unicode.org/cldr/apps/survey)
- Many have variants; so all of the German ones can have "phonebook" for
example. That probably adds another 50 combinations, so call it around 300.
- All can be parameterized: with the following numbers of settings:
 5 strength, 2 alternates, 2 directions, 2 normalizations, 2 caseLevels, 3
caseFirsts, 2 hirgana, 2 numeric, for a total of 960 combinations.
 Since these are parameters, they can each be combined with all the locales,
so that gives about 30,000 different registrations.
- This doesn't account for the variableTop parameter, which takes a string,
and is at least theoretically, unbounded.

I'm sure what we don't want to see is 30,000 entries in the form discussed
in 7.5. Example Initial Registry Summary

What I suggest be done instead is that a set of parameters be registered.
Thus we could have the equivalent of:

CLDR-Parameters:
  locale=aa, aa_DJ, aa_ER, aa_ER_SAAHO, aa_ET, ..., zu_ZA
  collation=phonebook, ..., gb2312han
  colStrength=primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary, identical
  variableTop=(u<unicodeCodePoint>)+

Then the corresponding line in 7.5 could be:

     i;basic;uca=5.0.0;uv=5.0.0;CLDR-Parameters    e, o, s   i18n

BTW, I'm going to be gone until June 7, so won't be able to respond until
then.

There are a few other areas where I have remarks on the language. In
particular, the handling of the error strings needs some further fixes. For
example, the following statement is false:

4.2.3.  Ordering
It MUST be transitive and trichotomous.

The way to handle this is to say that a collation is defined over a domain
of strings. Any string outside of that domain will is called "invalid", and
return an error value when used with any operation. Then you can truely say:

For all strings in its domain, it MUST it be transitive and trichotomous.

Mark