Fwd: Feedback on comparator draft

[With recently obtained permission, I'm forwarding a few mails
from a private discussion a while ago.]

 >To: Chris Newman <chris.newman@sun.com>,Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
 >From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
 >Subject: Feedback on comparator draft
 >Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:11:18 -0800

 >Hi Chris, Martin,
 >
 >At last IETF I promised to review the comparator draft.  I've now read it
and have three comments or questions, although be warned that I'm not the
best reviewer (I find many more issues when I start using something, than
when I just read it through)

 >Section 3.2: I don't understand the requirement for clients supporting
disconnected operation SHOULD NOT use wildcards.  I can imagine a client
synchronizing data with a WebDAV server -- the client would like to
download the contents of a collection in a certain order and cache the
results locally (potentially for offline use).  Why shouldn't this client
use wildcard matching while selecting the collation?

 >Overall, I'm surprised not to see some discussion about providing the
language to be used during collation.  A list of words is sorted
differently in a Spanish dictionary than an English dictionary.  Did I miss
something? has this already been discussed?  They can even be obsolete
usages of collations since these examples would be firmly non-normative.

 >I generally prefer more examples in specifications but I can see how hard
this would be for this spec.  Unless it's possible to briefly illustrate
the use of collations by drawing an example from sieve and/or ACAP...

 >As an approach to the problem I worry that it might be overkill but I
have a lot of confidence that you two would know that better than I do.
E.g. if it were possible to have only one recommended collation then we
wouldn't need a registry or a way to negotiate collations, but I'm sure
that approach was tried first.