Re: Charter and the NetFlix UC

Signing, by definition, uses private keys, which are associated to X.509 certificates; you cannot, however, sign something with a certificate.

To address your problem directly, there are a number of problems with signText(), mainly around the assumptions it makes:
-- The signing key is implicit (the key corresponding the client certificate used to load the page?  a smart card key?)
-- The thing being signed is a DOMString, when it should be something like an ArrayBuffer

Note that the latter fix would also address your concerns about digital signature formats.  If you can sign octets, then you can implement PDF signing or XAdES.

--Richard