From: "Andrew Sutherland" <asutherland@asutherland.org>
To: public-identity@w3.org
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:08:45 PM
Subject: Re: Last call for Use-cases/Goals for web crypto charter

On 11/24/2011 05:55 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:
> So everyone who has a use-case please send it now, described in 1-2
> sentences. Then also, *look* at the primary/secondary/ and
> out-of-scope features and list what features are necessary for the
> goal. Also, to see if anything is missing.

Use-case: Encrypted messaging client.

Primary necessities: key pair generation, encryption, decryption,
digital signature generation and verification, hash/message digest
algorithms, key storage.
Secondary necessities: strong random number generation, destruction of
temporary credentials

Primary not required: key transport/agreement algorithms

Additional details: Mozilla Labs has an encrypted messaging experiment
under development, deuxdrop. ( https://github.com/mozilla/deuxdrop).
While user trust of the client's code is more biased towards an
extension model for deployment, we are trying to use as many web
technologies as possible and to be capable of operating without any
special privileges in a standard web browser.  Right now, crypto is
provided by the NaCl library ( http://nacl.cr.yp.to/) exposed to JS via
privileged js-ctypes shims, but if we could use baked-in web platform
crypto like DOMCrypto or the outcome of the web crypto effort, that
would be much better.  Obviously, the underlying crypto primitives would
need to change, as I don't expect NaCl's primitives to be adopted, but
our current implementation was never intended to be permanent.

Andrew