Re: The Internet Identity (WG) Crisis

On 28 Jun 2011, at 13:35, Anders Rundgren wrote:

> On 2011-06-28 12:01, Josh Howlett wrote:
>>
>>> A fundamental problem with option #2 is that it seems hard (maybe even
>>> impossible) just getting down the basics such as Why, What and How.
>>
>> Could you expand on what you mean by that?
>
> Well, before you start anything it is always good to know WHY
> you are doing it.  This is essentially the "vision" part.

"Philosophy and the Social Web"
http://www.slideshare.net/bblfish/philosophy-and-the-social-web-5583083

All about what the web is, how it fits together architecturally and why Identity is core to it,
and why it is so important to have it decentralised.

> HOW should presumably describe the necessary deliverables and the
> strategy for getting these adopted.   The latter is almost always
> missing because that is close to "business plan".

Implementations that interoperate. Everybody should have their own business plan.
Bootstrapping is always difficult.

> WHAT is the thing that existing charters usually specify.  Like
> a secure authentication solution for mobile users.

What, with an order of delivery
  - WebID for authenticaiton
  - Authentication ontologies - to describe who can access what resource (ACL work at W3C)
  - privacy ontologies (what can be done with the data)
  - logics to tie any other auth system into WebID: so you can can show how different authentiction systems work
  - formalised trust logics

One does not need the whole stack. WebID works pretty well, combines nicely with openid, and can be used to start building the platform.

My feeling is more that for some psychological reason, the obvious solutions (to me) seem to be invisible to a lot of people in this space.

Henry

> Anders
>

>> Josh.
>>

>> JANET(UK) is a trading name of The JNT Association, a company limited
>> by guarantee which is registered in England under No. 2881024
>> and whose Registered Office is at Lumen House, Library Avenue,
>> Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/