On-line Bank Auth. Was: Privacy

Mo,

What you are saying about banks in the UK is applicable to Scandinavia
as well with a few exceptions.

I have always wondered why a regulated, (usually) very rich, and
global industry sector never spent a single cent on creating a
generally useful 2FA solution.  From what I can see they hardly
cooperate even on a national basis.

IMO the complete absence of a cheap, generally available, and
fully end-user provisionable token is a core reason why for
example PKI for consumers is going so slow.

Let's say that you have a small enterprise running Windows
and AD.  In spite of the fact that "CertServ" is included
in W2KSR2, there is no way you could give your users tokens
without installing quite alien software as well as hiring a
*really pricey smart card consultant*.

Banks have bigger resources than small enterprises but they still
face the problem that they must support a lot of unmanaged platforms,
all requiring pretty unique token drivers.

The NSTIC people do probably not realize that the cost per seat
for the PIV program probably exceeded $500 (including all) which
is *way* outside what the commercial sector is interested in.

I find governments (in general) fairly lax about cost (and
convenience) aspects when it comes to authentication.  They have
as "a collective of bad buyers" effectively laid the foundation for
a non-functioning market with practically zero competition, and
extremely poor solutions like "CertEnroll".

Unless something radical is done, like my Open Hardware token
and provisioning concept, I think we'd better give up the PC
and focus on phones because embedded tokens completely relieve
us from middleware/reader/provisioning issues.  In fact, Apple
is already there:

http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iPhone_OTA_Enrollment_Configuration.pdf

Anders